3 September 2011

Review: Gnarly Vine Chardonnay


Ooh, I’ve never reviewed a wine before (amazingly, my earlier review of Radiohead’s The King of Limbs was far from my first music review – many years ago I wrote on the Launceston Examiner’s ‘Youth’ magazine, reviewing free CDs the guy with the regular review job didn’t want). So, we have a ‘Gnarly Vine’ 2008 Gippsland Chardonnay, $13.99 from Harvest. Bucking the trend for cleaner, un-oaked chardonnay, I prefer an old-school buttery chardonnay, or, in technical terms, one that has undergone malolactic fermentation. The absolute best chardonnay I have drunk was a 2006 10X Tractor – rich, creamy and full.

The ‘Gnarly Vine’ is far from the best chardonnay I’ve ever drunk, but it’s certainly a good drop. Pretty simple nose, mainly lemon and apple, leading to a very smooth, big chardonnay with plenty of apple, and also some hay and melon notes. There is, however, a distinct absence at the back of the palate which is noticeable enough that it serves as a fatal flaw – really holding the wine back. For $14 though, I can’t complain too much.

3/5

2 comments:

Rob Williams said...

Any wine from the Yarra Valley is fine by me - Chateau Muddy from the lower reaches of the Yarra is fine for those who are fond of regurgitation and like the after taste of rotting sheep bodies.

Chateau Flint is also a great wine from the Latrobe valley and has a unique taste of briquettes and coal dust - a very gritty wine.

For fans of a true emetic, Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuvee Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

All great Orstralian wines worth a trip to the chemist for.

Rob Williams said...

Enjoy